Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Day Five in Haiti

Today I was the first to wake up in the girls dorm. Two 5mg Melatonin is the way to go for sleep. After breakfast we headed out to Defouneau, a village past Balalie. It would be our longest truck ride yet. We had some sketchy moments. There is one part of the road that dips down on one side and we almost turned over yesterday. With the rains we also had to go through lots of standing water. We passed Balalie and we were excited because we thought we had made it and all of a sudden there's huge puddle ahead of us (we already almost got stuck in the mud once). 

So Jay got out and asked us what we wanted to do. Did we want to back up and go to another village back the way we came or unpack and go by foot. My vote was for backing up and heading to another village because I did not want to walk. I have huge blisters on my legs and other places so it is painful to walk. We all prayed about it and our group decided to get out and walk. During our prayer I asked God that if we were to go forward that he would make the pain go away. I did not have pain during my walk (now is another story) a little girl who met us at the truck grabbed my hand and helped me the whole way. 

When we got there the children were ready for us in the church. The Pastor had already got 100 kids and had them in their Sunday best, clean, and divided boys on one side and girls on the other. They were singing when I finally arrived behind my team. Someone said to me something about what I had said about wanting to turn back and it hurt. This was just another lesson I needed to learn. That even though it hurts and the road is tough if we persist and move forward he will bless us.

I got to play soccer with the kids, something I had on my list of things to do. All the kids were well behaved. The pastor was amazing and the ladies helping were great. This was the most organized village. Everything went smoothly. I got to take their little pictures for their craft. So I got to see lots of smiles and sassy poses. I like seeing them eat. It makes me feel good to hand a heaping plate of food to a little kid who appreciates it. Back in the states we hand food to kids who won't eat what you give them (including my son). They just don't know how good they have it. We take so many things for granted. I hope that this experience stays with me and I never forget the lessons I've learned. God has spoke to me so much. I've been looking for answers, searching for my it and I think I have found it.

Our last ride back was a little sad. I will miss seeing the little kids waving at us and all the little villages. Going through the city. 

When we got back to base dinner was ready and I was hungry.

Beef, Rice with red sauce, Pikle, and French fries.

After we ate we had some down time before church.

I love the way they do church on the YWAM base. It is very intimate and the Lord is close. Kenny gave the message and it was translated into kreyol for the Haitian staff members. Kenny spoke about worship and ways to worship him. I felt very comfortable expressing myself. It was like I was close in that moment to God and I felt his love wrap around me and that he heard my petitions.


After the message they played another song and we were to go to another person and say an encouraging word and the people who spoke to me said things that I had prayed for during worship. I wish church last longer I just needed everything that was given to me in that room, God's Grace has been so abundant during this trip. 

After worship we headed over to the cafeteria, where there's also a ping pong table and fooseball table. Noah and I decided to play spoons, we had some people join in including YWAM Staffers. After Spoons we had an arm wrestling match. It's a great atmosphere here. 









No comments:

Post a Comment