Monday, June 20, 2016

Day Three in Haiti

I didn't sleep as well last night. It was definitely more hot last night. Megan got to wake me up again and I was confused (again), she was like "time to wake up Candice" and I said Whaaaat? Lol. We had breakfast and left for Balalie at 7 this morning. I was a little apprehensive of the ride there, and for good reason. The truck we took has a metal bar that you hold onto and you stand the entire time, which today was 1 1/2 hours. Which really wouldn't be too bad but these roads were really bumpy and I mean bumpy. Think of a bumpy dirt road and times that by ten. I had to sit on the water coolers to hold them down "wink wink". 

The ride to Balalie was absolutely beautiful. The pictures I have do not do it justice. There were endless rice fields with hard working men and boys in them. I loved going through the little villages and seeing the kids shout Blun, which means White person in Kreyol. They would also shout "Terry" who is the Director of YWAM Haiti. I loved every little smiling face who waved back at me with smiles so big and it didn't matter that some of them were naked as the day they were born. 

I got excited when I saw the village in the distance. I recognized it from the pictures on the YWAM Haiti website. These beautiful homes that YWAM built. And as soon as we came into the village we were greeted by kids yelling for us. We got everything unloaded into the church that they built themselves with the help of people who donated materials. I was part of the gathering team today. I got to go out into the village and invite the children to vbs. I got to see the houses and the adults. I really enjoyed that. Once we had all the children in the church we did our vbs program which I will describe once we get the kinks worked out tomorrow. 

My favorite moment today is when the villagers lead worship. You could feel the joy in their hearts and the Holy Spirit filled the room. I didn't have an idea what they were saying but I knew it was full of love and praise. These people who we pity and think have nothing, have so much more than us. They take care of what they have. They are so well dressed. Some of the kids came to the VBS in their Sunday best. We got to hold and love on babies. There was one in particular I wanted to take home with me, but Jay (Our Guide) said I would be in trouble because she was the village leaders granddaughter.

The villagers were so appreciative and thankful for what we were doing. We paid for the food the kids and us ate today, the village leaders family prepared it, and they pooled together money to buy us fish to go with it just for the team. That was so special. Let me tell you something. I was a tiny bit scared to eat food prepared by someone else, which is true for me back in the states, but this food was the most delicious thing I've had yet. I hope we have it tomorrow too. It was spicy rice and beans with onions and the fish. I did not eat the fish, but only because I don't eat fish anyways. 

We were all so exhausted and when it was time to go we were ready. We loaded up our trusty truck and got ready for a grueling ride back. The kids ran after the truck and waved at us till we couldn't see them anymore. The way back seemed to be a lot more bumpy than going in. But the truck made it through with no problems and I've pledged to take up money to pave the roads ;)

The first thing the women did when we got back was take showers. We were so dirty and dusty. The cold water (there's no hot water) felt like nirvana after being in the heat. I still don't know how the missionaries live without A/C here. We are so spoiled back home. Then we sat around and chit chatted for a while and got to see the St. Marc kids play soccer at the YWAM field on base. They had so many different games going on at once with the rattiest soccer balls you had ever seen, a couple we just small balls, not even soccer balls. They were playing without a care in the world. 


Dinner tonight was something I had been looking forward to. We have goat for the first time and it was DELICIOUS! Tastes like beef and deer mixed together. We also had rice with red sauce and pikle which looks like cole slaw but it's spicy. I love the food here. It is spicy and delicious.


I am so thankful they have hot sauce! We were sitting around chatting and all of a sudden a thunderstorm came with a vengeance. It felt so good. For the first time since we have been in Haiti the temperature was perfect and cool. We moved into plaz pose and relaxed for a bit while we regrouped for vbs. I had one of my new addictions, Haitian Coca-Cola. It is SO good. I don't know how I am going to leave I love it here so much. 

My melatonin is kicking in and I am exhausted so I'm ending it here. Continue your prayers for us in Haiti!



No comments:

Post a Comment