Sunday, June 19, 2016

Day Two in Haiti

I slept really well last night thanks to some melatonin Megan brought. I woke up earlier than I had anticipated due to some roosters outside. It was nice to have some quiet time and do my devotional before the day started. 


Breakfast was delicious. I made a happy plate. (Of course). I am telling you, this pineapple has healing properties. It is that good. The coffee was sent from Angels. Put some much needed pep in my step. While we were eating Terry Snow the Director of YWAM Haiti joined us and gave some much needed words of wisdom. He asked us if we would like a tour of St. Marc, and of course we said YES! Some of us have read his book Taking the high places. I highly recommend it. Anyways we were able to see some of the places pivotal moments in the book took place. 

I can not describe in words to make you comprehend what we have seen. I read blog after blog in preparation for this trip and nothing you read or pictures you see prepare you for actually being here. It is a whole new world for me. We visited a prison today. The cells are open to the outside and cram packed with inmates, some minor offenses and the only reason the haven't been released is they can't pay the 15$ jail tax.

We visited a Super market today. Before we got off the bus we were bombarded with women and children holding out their hands for money or food. Women with babies were standing next to the bus holding their hands out. One of the YWAM staffers said its the same women with different babies everytime. They just go get a baby and come and beg. Of course we all gave in to the children. The supermarket was one of the nicer ones in Haiti. I was able to get a few souvenirs and some much needed powerade. It is very easy to get dehydrated fast here. You sweat out more liquid than you put in so we are constantly drinking water. 

After the tour we came back and ate lunch. Then we organized our VBS materials and presented our VBS idea to Jay and Kate. They taught us some key kreyol phrases that I have forgotten, sorry Kate! After we got all our VBS stuff organized we had some down time before we helped with children's church. We had intentions of taking a short nap but most of the women sat around and talked which was very nice. 

Children's ministry was amazing. I am so glad we got to experience it before we did our vbs. the children all just want to be loved, held, and paid attention to.



 The YWAM Staff does children's ministries every Wednesday. They usually have anywhere from 100-200. Tonight the numbers were down because of a party on the beach. These kids memorize a whole bible verse in minutes. YWAM did an awesome job with them. After the church we got to take pictures with the kids. 

After children's church we ate another delicious meal. I love the rice here. 


Then we went to Kate and Jay's house for movie night. I am so excited for tomorrow. I have a feeling it's going to be hard but very rewarding if we just remove ourselves and focus on the reason we are here. It is so easy to get frustrated in this heat. I appreciate all the prayers that are coming in for us. We need them. Tomorrow is our very first VBS!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment