Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Food allergy food therapy day 1 no bueno

So yesterday Drama passed the first part of the baked milk challenge. He can now eat breads, cake, cookies, crackers and other baked breads that contain milk. So grocery shopping should have been a fun filled adventure, right? WRONG.

Can you say meltdown in aisle 1? As I am flitting around checking ingredients on delicious goodies, Drama is saying NO to everything I pick up. I am going around pointing out things that he will be able to eat in a few months and he just retreats further and further and finally has an outburst in front of the Ice cream.


"I don't want to eat new things, I don't want my milk allergy to go away", I stopped dead in my tracks. Had to lean on Ben and Jerry for support. Excuse me? Me no Comprende. Did I just hear this child right? I just assumed after ten years of living without these things he would be excited to pick out new things he has seen his friends eat. I didn't think about the psychological factor.


I continued on my way. Picking up some Pillsbury cinnamon rolls (surely those would speak to his soul, right?)  Amy's cheddar bunnies, and goldfish pretzels.

When we got home I had him eat 5 goldfish pretzels. You would have thought I was asking him to detonate a bomb. Then he had his milk muffin for the day. I am hoping this gets easier. Its not just about eating new things. Continuing the food therapy will boost his immunity to the milk protein to where if he gets a big dose of it it won't cause a reaction.

I covet your prayers!

“And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”

2 Corinthians 12:9 KJV

Have a food allergy or a child with food allergies? Join my Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/elijahshope

NIH link about Baked Food Therapy: http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/foodAllergy/research/Pages/immunotherapy-food-allergy.aspx

AAAI link about baked egg and milk immunology: http://www.aaaai.org/global/latest-research-summaries/Current-JACI-Research/ingesting-baked-egg-may-help-children-outgrow-egg.aspx



No comments:

Post a Comment