Thursday, March 7, 2019

I need to come out of the closet. I am an Astrophile.

What is an Astrophile? An Astrophile is defined as a lover of the stars; a person who is interested in astronomy as an amateur or non-expert according to the Oxford dictionary. I love space. I love everything about it. I have been interested in astronomy for as long as I can remember. From the first rocket my brother got as a child. It was exciting to watch my dad and brother put together the rocket and launch it into the sky. Where I grew up we were so close to the stars. We lived in Appalachia where there was zero light pollution. It was almost as if you could reach out and touch the stars. When night came it was like the veil came off the world allowing us to see into the heavens. Now I live close to Knoxville, TN. I still somewhat live in the country but there is light pollution. I can't reach out and touch the stars as I did as a kid.  One of the trips on my bucket list is to go to Cades Cove in the Smokey mountains to star gaze. I would love for my son to have that same magical moment I did as a child. I have many theories why we as humans are drawn to the stars. Theologically speaking, we were not made for this world. We have a longing to be somewhere else. I have a longing to be somewhere else. Somewhere that is not here on Earth. I envy the Astronauts in the International Space Station. To be up there isolated living among the stars and having a front-row seat to literally the best view in the world. It is amazing. I hope to post more about Space in the upcoming months.


No comments:

Post a Comment