Monday, September 28, 2015

Women's Retreat 2015

September 11-13 I was away at a Women's Retreat with our Women's Ministry at church. I was super excited about this retreat because it was my Moms first Women's Retreat. My Mom has been attending church very faithfully this past year. It's huge for me because we haven't went to church together since I was little. We haven't studied the bible together before and we did that at the women's retreat. My Mom and I rode up to Pigeon Forge with my Aunt Angela. We finally found our cabin which was the Big Elk Lodge. This cabin was huge! It slept 74 people, had a huge kitchen, movie theater, two hot tubs, game room and three floors of rooms. Very impressive and we were blessed to be upgraded to this cabin for free from a smaller cabin. The owners are amazing. We started our lessons the first night. 

                                                           Big Elk Lodge

We had a wonderful speaker Jennifer Mathewson Speer, she was flown in from Florida. I will put her links below. Our study for the weekend was Women of Grace. They were women in Jesus's lineage. Women who were not perfect and some were a mess and God chose them to use for his glory. The theme of the weekend was that Gods Grace is big enough to cover our mess. I loved her message and I can't wait to order her book when it comes out at the end of October. 

         Our awesome Women's Ministry Directors with Jennifer Matthewson Speer

I stayed in a room with My Mom, Aunt, and my aunts friend Diane. There were three twin sized bunk beds in the room and it had it's own bathroom. I was on the top bunk for the first night. I was excited because I haven't slept on top bunk in a long time. That excitement dampened when I learned I am not young anymore and clumping a clunky wooden ladder is hard when you're out of shape and overweight. I use a c-pap machine for sleep apnea. That was a little bit of an annoyance to my room mates who said it sounded like a small vacuum, but let me just say their snoring was worse, lol. Saturday morning we woke up to a delicious breakfast of the most scrumptious breakfast casseroles. I really need to get the recipe. My favorite was the spinach and mushroom. After a quick break after breakfast we started our next study. We studied 4 women over the weekend. Sarah (Sarai), Tamar, Ruth, and Rahab.

Sarah: Sarah's story can be found in Genesis 12-23 we learned that God is waiting for us to take our hands off of it because he wants all the Glory. We pick up burdens that are not ours to carry. We can't save ourselves, it's God by Grace. God says my Grace is BIGGER than your choices. Anytime we try to do what only God can do chaos happens.  
Tamar: Tamar's story can be found in Genesis 38 and Matthew 1 I learned that God can cover any life with Grace. Don't keep dwelling on past hurt, don't replay it over and over, of Hods Grace can cover this mess he can cover everything, Frisk every thought at the door of your mind, Renew your mind by the word of God. 
Release blessings: be kind to one another, show Grace that we have been shown by Christ.
Thoughts about forgiveness: Forgiveness is not the denial of the pain, it does not negate, forgiveness redeems. Forgiveness does not mean restored trust or relationships. It does not undo consequences. Forgiveness is not a one time thing. 
Rahab: Rahab's story can be found in Joshua 2 I learned through Rahabs story that Faith is acting on revealed truth. God expects us all to be women of Faith. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Until you take that first step of faith God will not give you the next one. 

I lost my notes on Ruth so I will have to borrow someone else's and edit this. 

We had some wonderful singing led by our awesome choir director April. When our sessions were over we had free time. It was my Moms birthday so we went out to Olive Garden to celebrate with my aunts and some of our church family. So delicious! I really enjoyed the women's retreat. It always goes by so fast because we do a lot and have a lot of fun. Jennifer was so refreshing and I really enjoyed her study and am looking forward to her book. As soon as I get it I will post a review and links. 

More pictures from the weekend 
This is where My Aunts, Mom and I sat during the Sessions. Comfy couches were first come first serve.
                              My Mom and I
Late night laughs with your church family is the best, what happens on the retreat stays on the retreat.
These views made me so homesick for the Mountains, I grew up in Kodak and woke up to this every morning.

For information on Jennifer Matthewson Speer http://www.wordofjoy.org 







No comments:

Post a Comment