Thursday, January 21, 2016

We got a Shiranian!

Drama has been wanting a puppy for years. I really wanted to wait for a therapy dog who was trained for autism and food allergies but http://homeschoolinthewoods.com/elections.html are really expensive. So while I secretly coveted a peanut sniffing dog my friend's Shih Tzu had a one night stand with the Pomeranian next door. My Mom has always had Pomeranians and I love the little dogs and a little dog would really be better for us since we don't have a fenced in yard. I told her I wanted one and was first on her list.
 
The Shiranian's were born!






These puppies were the cutest things I had ever seen! Just little balls of fluff. They were born before Christmas. Drama already picked out a name for his pup, Kopi. If you are familiar with Think noodles Minecraft video's then you know where he got that name. His Minecraft mentor has a dog named Kopi which means coffee in Singapore. Kopi has lived up to her name since she can be very hyper, as expected for a puppy.
You will always remember your child's reaction to getting a pet. When Drama got his kitten Penny he was ecstatic and his reaction to Kopi was the same. He couldn't believe how tiny she was. He held her close and kissed the top of her little fuzzy head. He was a little disappointed the first night that she was too tired to play. It was late when we got her and we were ready for bed and I thought she was.


The first night was awful
 
No sooner had we closed our eyes when the screeching started. If you've never had a puppy or a kitten then you will be traumatized. It's their first night in a strange place, away from their Mom and siblings. So they are terrified. They start to panic when Mom doesn't come running when they cry so the terrified little cries become soul crushing banshee shrieks. I had the puppy in my room so I would take her out and cuddle her and make sure she went to the bathroom and wasn't hungry. This happened almost every hour. By the third night I put her in the  bathroom with the fan on because I desperately needed sleep.
 
Now I've been told they need a wind up clock wrapped in a blanket to simulate their moms heartbeat. I've yet to find a wind up clock so she is still sleeping in the bathroom until she can sleep through the night. I do go and check on her once during the night and let her use the rest room. She still cries but it is getting better.
 
I was lucky that her mom showed her how to use puppy pads before she came to live with us. She uses the puppy pads really good but has had a couple of accidents. She is a really sweet pup who is very playful. Right now she likes to bite and chew. She really likes to play with my cat Ginsberg. He tolerates her pretty well. Drama's cat Penny, however, is still adjusting and won't come near her.


Shiranians are great little dogs. Everything I have read about them says they are easy to train and they are very intelligent. I know she will make Drama a really good dog and will be very therapeutic for him. He has more responsibilities now that he has two pets to pick up after and feed. I am grateful that I have a son who loves animals just as much as I do. Maybe we can get her some therapy dog training. Very thankful to my friend Kim for giving us this precious dog that will be a lifetime friend for Drama.


         Kopi Cupcake Caramel born December 8, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment