Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Learning to Surrender

One of the hardest things for me to do as a Christian is to let go and let God. I hold onto everything so tight. It's like I'm telling God, "No, you can't have it, it's mine". I've worried about it for so long and invested all my strength and time getting worked up about it that I don't want to let go of it. I want to be in control of it even though I've not been making any progress coming to a solution. Why do we do this to ourselves? If we would just give it over to God and let him take care of it then we would be at peace, but that's not what we do. We refuse to give it up and we end up making things worse for ourselves.


I've been struggling the past week. Homeschooling a child with ADD and Aspergers is not for the weak of heart. We are both getting burnt out and sick of each other. I know that homeschool is the best thing for my son right now. He is safe, he is getting individual attention, his curriculum is Christ centered, and he can work at his own pace. I went to Revival at my church last night and Bro. Frank Jolly said something that spoke to me. He was talking about waving the white flag and surrendering to God. That really struck a chord with me and after I couldn't stop thinking about that I got out of bed at 1 am and started researching verses about surrendering to God.
 
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.   Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.   For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Matthew 11:28-30 KJV

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Psalm 9:10
10 And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, Lord, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.
 
Psalm 46:
10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

James 4:8
Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

Whenever my heart is troubled, I find solace in the word of God. It has never failed to quieten my heart when I open the bible. It's where all the answers are. If you are feeling overwhelmed hide yourself in his words. Before you open the bible pray and ask him to lead you. Most of the time when we are feeling anxious and overwhelmed its because we have strayed away and not made time for God. He is a jealous God and wants our love and devotion. He wants us to spend time with him without distractions. He craves an intimate relationship with us. We can accomplish this by setting aside time everyday to read the bible, pray, and sit quietly with him letting him speak to us. We are in the age of technology. I had friends who during the 21 day fast set strict rules for technology. They were not allowed to check social media if they hadn't done their bible study that day. Isn't that great? That's how we should be every day.



















I know that I am feeling overwhelmed because I have let worry get in the way of my time with God. He has been there all the time waiting for me to come to him, but instead I have pulled the covers over my head and have been paralyzed with everything going on. What I should have done is run to the arms of my Father. That should be the first thing we do. I know I will be studying more and spending more time with him. I truly believe that will fix everything. Just giving my burdens to him and trusting him to take care of everything. He has our best interests at heart.

 
Follow me on Facebook:
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment