Monday, February 29, 2016

Review: Zondervan Faith Builders Bible

When I saw the name Zondervan I had to review this product. My son was heavily into Veggie Tales and had a lot of the books published by Zondervan. Drama loves the Lego movies and games so I knew he would like the Faith Builders Bible by Zonderkidz ~ (http://www.zondervan.com/children) . I love that they have incorporated America's favorite building blocks with The Holy Bible.
http://www.zondervan.com/faith-builders-bible-nirv

The first thing I did when I received the Faith Builders Bible was look through it. The first thing that stands out is the colorful building block pages. Each graphic has a picture that you can recreate with your own building blocks, a short commentary, and a building block verse that goes with the picture. Some of the building block pages and topics:

- Noah Builds an Ark
- Animals 2x2
- Building the Tower of Babel
- The Ten Commandments
- Building the Tabernacle
- Solomon Builds God's Temple
- Bringing Down Jericho
- Samson's Demolition
- David Defeats Goliath
- Psalm 23: A Psalm of David
- Jesus is Born
- Feeding a Crowd
- A Change of Heart (Zacchaeus)
- Jesus Walks on Water
- The Last Supper
- Jesus and the Cross
- The Lord's Prayer
- The ABCs of Salvation
- The Fruit of the Spirit
- Building with a Strong Foundation





We had a lot of fun building the scenes after reading the stories. As a home school Mom, I know the importance of kinetic learning. Building a scene from a story they just read helps them retain information. The first graphic page "Building with books of the bible" made me think of an awesome idea I had seen on Pinterest. You take Legos and write or tape the books of the bible on them, using different colors for Law, History, Poetry, Major Prophets, Minor Prophets, Gospels, Church History, Letters, and Prophecy. Then the kids memorize the books of the bible and also the different categories. I love this idea and it was great to be reminded of it.

The only thing I did not care for about the bible was the fact that it is only available in NIRV ( New International Readers Version). I really hope that they come out with this bible in other translations like KJV. I go to a KJV church and I prefer the KJV over other versions and have many friends who only read KJV and have kids who are completely nuts about Legos.

More about the NIrV from Wikipedia: The New International Reader's Version (NIrV) is an English translation of the Christian Bible. Translated by the International Bible Society (now Biblica) following a similar philosophy as the New International Version (NIV), but written in a simpler form of English, the NIrV seeks to make the Bible more accessible for children and people who have difficulty reading English, such as non-native English speakers. The authors describe it as a special edition of the NIV written at a third grade reading level.[2]

All in all I think children will enjoy receiving this bible as a gift. The wording is simple and easy to understand. The graphics will draw anyone in and make them want to pull out their building blocks to recreate the scenes. I recommend reading the story from the bible then talking about it as you're building. Repetitiveness helps kids retain important information. When I am teaching my discipleship class to the Kindergarten and First Grade, I try and read the story twice then ask questions until they can repeat it back to me.

Faith Builders Bible {Zonderkidz Review}
http://schoolhousereviewcrew.com/faith-builders-bible-zonderkidz-review/
 
Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment