Monday, July 20, 2015

The Day, my Mammogram experience and aftermath

Today is THE day. It's finally here. All the sleepless nights, panic attacks, indigestion, and worry can finally stop right?

I went to my appointment this morning at Tennova North Imaging Center. I was very impressed with this facility. They were very kind. When I went to the "dressing room" they gave me a robe that had been in a warmer. I thought that was a really sweet gesture. Of course I'm a furnace and I'm having hot flashes at any given moment but still very sweet. I had brought my son so I waited with him. They had a little refrigerator with tiny cans of diet coke and water. He thought that was cool.

The Nurse took my history and did a breast exam. She put a sticker where the lump was. I was then taken to get a mammogram. This was something I had not expected. I was told I was getting an ultrasound. It was not as bad as I had heard. Maybe I was in shock of having to get one, but it was not painful. They used the 3D mammogram. After that was done they took me to the ultrasound room. The lady doing the ultrasound was someone I was in color guard with in high school. It's always great reconnecting with old friends while your breasts are exposed and you're wearing zero makeup.

When she got done with the ultrasound she said she was going to speak with the Doctor and see if he would like to come in and do the scan with her. At this point I was starting to freak out. Was he going to come in and tell me they had found cancer? What was I going to do? She came back and told me that it was not cancer, it was called an oil cyst. I could have it surgically removed if it bothered me. Other than that I just needed to keep an eye on it and if it got larger to come back and to do regular breast exams.

I thanked her, and thanked her again. I took a breath as if I was taking my first breath as a new human being. I collected my things and my child and I was praising God out of that hospital. I am not sure what I am going to do about it, but a cyst is so much easier to deal with than cancer. I'm going to make an appointment at my OBGYN and see what he thinks. I honestly don't know why God is so good to me. I'm a spoiled brat. There are so many others who are so much more deserving of his grace. I'm praying for so many right now who have cancer. Praying for a cure. Please, ladies do your monthly self breast exam, it doesn't take long and it could save a life! I'm very thankful my friend told me her story because I never would have done the exam and found the cyst. I hope maybe I can help someone too. God Bless!

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (2 Corinthians 12:9 KJV)

More info on Breast Cysts: http://www.cancer.org/treatment/understandingyourdiagnosis/examsandtestdescriptions/forwomenfacingabreastbiopsy/breast-biopsy-benign-breast-conditions

How to do a Breast Self Exam:
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/moreinformation/breastcancerearlydetection/breast-cancer-early-detection-acs-recs-bse

No comments:

Post a Comment