Saturday, August 8, 2015

Making Chicken and Dumplings with Mom

BIt's the weekend! What better way to celebrate than waking up early and making chicken and dumplings from scratch. I can remember going over to my Mamaws house after church and eating a huge Sunday dinner and always having chicken and dumplings. She passed away when I was ten years old but I never forgot her good her house smelled and how delicious her dumplings were.
                  My Mamaw Lovetta Jones


I've always wanted to learn how to make them. Cooking is something Elijah and I love to do. We love to go to my Mom's and cook because she has a big kitchen and it's fun to make memories. We used a whole chicken. I had never bought a whole chicken before, much less cooked one so that was an interesting experience. Elijah helped make the dumplings and the cake. The best part of course was eating! Takes you back in time. The smells in the kitchen and the food. 

Elijah's cake is super simple to make. It is one box of Duncan Hines moist deluxe super dark chocolate and one can of 100% pumpkin purée. That's it! Milk, Egg, Peanut, And Tree Nut Free. We iced it with Pillsbury chocolate fudge icing and crushed Oreos. It stays together, it's moist, and you can not taste the pumpkin. I'm sure it's healthier too. 

I am sure Elijah will remember all the times we cooked in Grandmas kitchen just like I remember all the Sunday dinners in my Mamaws kitchen. I love making memories :-)







No comments:

Post a Comment