Saturday, August 1, 2015

Battling a mental illness

Having a mental illness has been one of the toughest things I've had to face. I've been through a lot, but the battle inside my mind on a daily basis is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. It's a myth that Christians are all happy go lucky. Weare saved by the grace of God so we are supposed to be these perky robots with painted on smiles and nothing gets us down, but that's not the truth. You can be close to God and do everything right and still be depressed. No one is immune from depression. These  biblical characters fit all the clinical symptoms: Hagar, Moses, Naomi, Hannah, Saul, David, Solomon, Elijah, Nehemiah, Job, Jeremiah, John the Baptist, Judas Iscariot and Paul. 


I first started battling depression when I was twelve. I started having panic attacks when I was 18. Ever since then it's been a cycle of depression, anxiety, self loathing, and even suicidal thoughts. Yes, Christians contemplate suicide. You just want to stop feeling this way. I know many Christians who battle depression and some often feel ostracised by others because of their diagnosis. That's why it's important to let people know how you are feeling and make sure you are seeing a good Doctor. Having a good church family and making regular church attendance a priority can also affect your mood. When you are going through a valley fix your eyes on God and know that he will never leave you or forsake you.



Four years ago I was at my lowest point. I was in an abusive relationship. My husband gave me several concussions, sent me to the hospital twice. Our relationship ended with him behind bars for aggravated assault. I felt like I was nothing. I felt like if I just ended my life my son would be better off because he would go to live with relatives who could care for him a lot better than I had been. I texted a friend from church and long story short I did not end up taking my life that night. All I needed was for someone to step in and to check on me and stop me from what I was about to do. There is a really good documentary called "The Bridge" it is about the Golden Gate Bridge which is a destination spot for people who choose to commit suicide.  A lot of the survivors who jumped said they immediately regretted jumping. They said if just ONE PERSON had talked to them then they wouldn't have jumped. 



One of the worst things someone with depression can do is to isolate themselves. You have to get up and get out. If you are a friend, you've got to get them out or come to them. The worst thing you can do for a person who is depressed is nothing. Teens are taking their lives, kids are now taking their lives because of bullying. It's such a scary trend. The mental healthcare in America is really lacking. A lot of homelessness is due to the lack of mental healthcare. Without proper medication and counselling it's impossible to hold down a job or have relationships. I've used a lot of Pastor Rick Warren's quotes throughout this post. The Christian community was shaken when we learned of his sons passing. You just never think suicide is going to touch such a strong and faithful servant's family. 





Mental illness doesn't discriminate. It can happen to you. It doesn't matter how much money you have or how many friends you have, it can strike at anytime. It's important to be aware of the signs and symptoms. If you are having symptoms of depression or anxiety make an appointment and speak with your Doctor. Don't worry about what other people will think. Your main priority is to take care of yourself so you can take care of others. I had a primary Dr. who I loved more than anything. She described it like this. Imagine you're on an airplane, you have to put the oxygen mask on yourself first and then put it on your child. If you don't then you're not going to be there to help your child. Dr. Huang retired but I always loved her wisdom. Mothers have a lot of responsibility. Sometimes we forget to take care of ourselves until it's too late.

If you are considering suicide call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline and click the link for more information on suicide prevention and facts www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org 






No comments:

Post a Comment